The Academic Workshop Jr
Finding Inspiration in Every Turn
Regular English Lessons
What is covered
Paper 1 (Writing), Paper 2 (MCQ and open-ended sections) and Paper 4 (Oral Communication)
- Paper 1
Full-length compositions, based on examinable themes, are done once a month.
Situational Writing (for P5/6) is done once a term.
- Paper 2
Challenging components like Comprehension Open-Ended and Comprehension Cloze are done once every fortnight.
Paper 2 lessons are thematic, leveraging on what is current as well as age-appropriate to add interest to the lessons.
- Paper 4
Oral Communication skills are covered once a term, with individual practice and assessment included.
This course focuses extensively on Paper 1 and the skills needed to excel in writing assessments.
Lessons run on a 4-week lesson cycle which includes:
Week 1: teaching of skill
- to expose the student to the skill
- bite sized exercises to help the student apply the skill within the writing
Week 2: Guided writing
- analysis of Model Composition based on a PSLE-like topic
- planning of a plot based on the topic with special emphasis on the skill taught in Week 1
- writing based on collective planning
- analysis of a new topic
- independent planning of writing
- revision of skill taught in Week 1 and 2
- independent writing
- situational writing skill and practice
- model composition analysis based on collective planning in Week 2
- Draft 2 based off marking of composition in Week 2
Composition lessons cover examinable themes as well as specific narrative writing techniques, with model compositions and plot plans.